Valheim is one of the The most exciting new survival games In years, giving you the full spectrum of Vikings’ lives: mead, boats, swords and Excessive attention to local detail. If you want to play Vikings with up to 10 people ValhaimThe best thing for it, here’s how to set up a Valheim custom server or how to host Valheim multiplayer locally. Multiplayer options can be confusing at first, especially if you need to transfer a world from one type of multiplayer service to another.
Valheim can have a player hosting the game locally from their computer, storing the game world as their own personal file and basically inviting others into their game world to take part in co-op play. It’s good for a duo or triple playing together only.
Valheim Dedicated Server is another option, setting up a separate client to host the server for others and yourself, even if you aren’t online. A Valheim dedicated server is the best choice if your Viking crew doesn’t always meet at the same time to play or if there are many of you. Some people prefer renting a server from a hosting provider, so go ahead and read the guide to decide whether you want to bother or ready to host a server yourself.
To put a few basics down, this is how Valheim multiplayer works: you can move and inventory any character from one game to the next. This advances their skills from place to place, but be aware that any equipment you lose in one world will still be lost in another world if you log off before retrieving it or if a falterer prevents you from retrieving it. The developers of Valheim Iron Gate AB are proposing to have a separate character for single and multiplayer players, and those who are very careful will likely do so.
For every new player who enters the game, the enemies become more difficult. When the player leaves, it gets easier. Some players have reported more generous resource drop rates when playing single-player, although I couldn’t confirm this with a few light tests.
Local hosting Valheim
If you only play Valheim multiplayer with one or other players, and you’ll never play too far, the dedicated server is likely an overkill. Just make the person with the best internet connection and the best gamer host. Here’s how you can host on-premises in Valheim:
Others can now search for your server under Join the game and enter the password to connect.
How to join Valheim Server
The second tab on the menu after selecting the character is Join the game. This will allow you to see the servers your friends are hosting on Steam, or search for community servers and join this way. Either way, you will need a password.
Create a dedicated Valheim server
You can put Valheim dedicated server on any computer, your call. Some people will place it on a secondary computer, and some people will be playing it from. Whether that’s a good idea is up to you, how good your internet connection is, and how powerful your computer is at gaming. Heim doesn’t demand too much of a game nor does it run a server, but together they will put a strain on most devices – and on the connection quality of other players.
In my experience, a 15-year-old wizard machine frequently tripped with three players connected, but became inoperable with more. The Intel i7 processor from 2013 was fine at 100Mbps, 10Mbps with five gamers connected, lagging or stuttering at times – so an old backup computer or your media build might be perfect for the job .
To get this setup, you’ll need to know how to do port forwarding and how to find the IP address of the server machine, which means you’ll likely need administrator access to your router.
How to set up Valheim Dedicated Server
1. Choose the computer to run and install or open Steam.
2. Switch to Tools in Steam Library Search and search for Valheim, you will see Valheim Dedicated Server. Install Valheim and install Valheim Dedicated Server. However, you won’t be running it from Steam – you need Steam to run Valheim itself either on another PC or on that PC.
3. Go to the folder where you installed the Valheim custom server.
4. Now you need to either create a world to use, or transfer the world that you were using before that to the server if it is on another computer. If you are hosting from the same computer you were playing on, skip this step. Go to the Windows Users folder: C: Users YOURNAME AppData LocalLow IronGate Valheim worlds. Move files from this folder to the same folder on your server computer.
5. You now need to edit the server startup script file, which is located in the folder where you have installed your Valheim custom server. The default is C: Program Files (x86) Steam Steamapps common Valheim Dedicated Server. There you will be taken to a batch file called “start_headless_server”. Right-click on this file and edit it.
6. The line there now says something like “start valheim_server -nographics -batchmode -name X -port 2456 -world X -password X -public 1”, except that X is your information that you have already entered.
7. You will need to change it so that X after the name is the name of the server you want – which cannot be your world name. X after the world is the name of the world you live in – which cannot be the same as your servant. Password … well, whatever you want the password to be, but it cannot include world or server names. (Again, you must have a password.)
8. If you want the server to appear in the community servers list, leave the number after year as 1. If not, change it to 0.
9. Save that. Now make a backup copy of the start_headless_server file, because when the game is updated, it will delete this file and you will need to replace it. Now you can quit this editor.
10. You should now open the ports on your server computer to allow communication. Go to your router software, and open the ports 2456-2458 TCP / UDP On the computer that is running the server. It should be the host port 2456. If the server computer has a firewall, you will have to open those ports on the firewall as well.
11. Now start the server by double clicking on “start_headless_server”. This should open two windows, one with the server logs and the other you select and hit any key to stop the server if you want to stop it. (Why has the server stopped? Updates. Otherwise, don’t! The whole reason to run a dedicated server is that it’s always there.)
12. Voila! Players can now join your server. It may sometimes take 10-15 minutes for the Community Server List update to be updated once the server has started. If it never appears, it might be because you included the game world name in the server name or password … or Due to an error. Try the following steps if this happens.
13. If you change the public number to 0, people will have to join using the Steam browser, located below View> Servers On the Steam client in the Favorites tab, then use the Add Server button in the lower right.
14. Your server IP address is the external IP address of your server computer with a nickname: 2457 at the end of the correct port – eg XXX.XXX.X: 2457.
Congratulations! You are completely ready to play multiplayer in Valheim. Now, go ahead and son. While a friend who sent this article to set up the server, can I suggest reading something like our site A guide to getting started in Valheim? Maybe An upscale tour of the Vikings’ homes?